Tuesday 25 June 2013

BOMBONIERKA - CHOCOLATE BOX WITH DELICIOUS FILLING


'Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.' Do you remember this slightly threadbare quote from 'Forrest Gump'? It immediately came to my mind when I went to the restaurant Bombonierka (meaning 'chocolate box' in Polish) situated next to my favourite Mleczarnia in Kazimierz, the Kraków Jewish quarter.


Because of the sweet-sounding name I had expected a pink, rococo interior crammed with ribbons and frills. I couldn't have been more wrong. Bombonierka's interior is designed in a modern folk style, reminding me of the new rooms in the Ethnographic Museum in Kraków. The walls are decorated with patterns of Polish folk art paper cuttings and spinning dancers in flowery skirts. The lamps are adorned with crocheted tablecloths and one of the doors depicts a pair of gloomy peasants in traditional costumes from the Kraków area.


Such an interior would be a perfect setting for some vibrant folk music, such as Warsaw Village Band or Zakopower but, to my surprise, the music was mostly old Polish hits from the 1980s and 1990s sang by Krzysztof Krawczyk or Kayah and Goran Bregović. This kind of music is considered old-fashioned but it doesn't make it folk...


But the biggest and best surprise was the food! The menu is full of various kinds of meat and fish so vegetarians can feel a bit neglected but the dishes we ordered were absolutely delicious. Chicken breast with chanterelle mushroom sauce (PLN 19) melted in the mouth, and so did beautifully seasoned fried potatoes (PLN 5). In grilled pork sirloin steak in mushroom gravy (PLN 28) you could actually feel the crunchy wild mushrooms, while baked potatoes were garnished with spicy garlic sauce (PLN 6). For the dessert I couldn't resist the restaurant's speciality: a delectable chocolate pie with fresh fruit and whipped cream (PLN 14). Yummy. :)


At first when we came to Bombonierka I was rather disappointed that the restaurant's name, decor and music don't form a unified whole, but then the food was so delicious that it pushed all my concerns into the background. I have to admit that it was one of the best dinners I've recently had in Kraków. I recommend Bombonierka for a meeting with family or friends, especially ones that would like to try traditional Polish dishes with an unusual twist.

For the dessert, check out this song by two famous Polish singers. The title is bombonierka, or chocolate box. :)

Want to see more photos? Click here!
Przeczytaj to po polsku. :)


Address: ul. Meiselsa 24, Kraków