Saturday 16 November 2013

KARDAMON CAFFE – COSY AND HOMEY


Retoryka Street is one of the most charming places in Kraków. If you're near the Wawel Castle, you should take a stroll through this tree-lined alley and examine fairy-like historic houses design by Teordor Talowski. One of the most important Polish architects at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, Talowski created here a row of brick houses with fanciful details and names.


My favourite buildings are Under the Singing Frog ('Dom pod Śpiewającą Żabą' in Polish) and Under the Donkey ('Dom pod Osłem' in Polish – there's even a stone donkey's head protruding form the wall). Some of the façades impart to passers-by Latin pearls of wisdom, such as: Festina lente (Make haste slowly) or Faber est suae quisque fortunae (Every man is the artisan of his own fortune). An interesting piece of trivia is a fact that the middle of the Retoryka Street used to be... a river.


Nearby you can find a newly opened bistro - Kardamon Cafe (Cardamon in English). Even though it's located very close to the main tourist attractions, it has a peaceful, not to say lazy, atmosphere. One cold, rainy evening I walked with my dog through Retoryka Street. I had a cold and all I wanted was a cup of some hot beverage. No wonder, brilliantly illuminated, green Kardamon seemed to me a haven of peace. As soon as I entered, a waitress brought a bowl of water (for my dog) and hot, very tasty latte with ginger syrup (for me). After over an hour of sipping at the warming coffee, looking through the books on the shelf and chatting with the friendly waitress and other patrons, my dog and I were ready continue our walk through the rain.


And today I've decided to try Kardamon's daily lunch menu. Its price ranges from PLN 14 to PLN 25 and it includes: soup + a piece of meat or fish; rice, potatoes or buckwheat groats ('kasza gryczana' in Polish) and fresh salad. There are also vegetarian sets (around PLN 12) but I ordered a classic one: borscht (beetroot soup), chicken breast cutlet, potatoes and freshly grated carrot.


The borscht (or barszcz, as we call it in Polish) was very tasty, almost like home made. The only thing that spoiled it were not-too-fresh boiled potatoes (you probably know this sweetish taste of boiled potatoes kept in a fridge for too long. Yuck.). The soup would have been much better if it had been served instead with uszka (ravioli-type dumplings) or at least a hard-boiled egg.


Fortunately, potatoes served with the main dish - as well as the carrot salad  - were completely fresh. And the chicken cutlet coated with breadcrumbs was absolutely delicious. The meat was juicy while the coating remained crispy. I asked the chef for his secret but he apparently had exactly the same recipe as me (coat the meat with flour, whisked eggs and breadcrumbs and then fry it over medium-high heat) but our results were completely different. Why? It will always remain a culinary mystery to me. ;)


I think this restaurant is a great place for a quick, home made lunch. You can also have here breakfast, drink some delicious coffee or simply bury yourself in a comfy armchair and have a pleasant read. Kardamon Cafe is tasty and warming – just like the spice that gave it a name.

Address: ul. Retoryka 19, Kraków (Stare Miasto)