Saturday 9 November 2013

MOO MOO STEAK AND BURGER – MY FIRST BURGER WORKSHOP


I have to confess something – I don't like red meat. If I want to write a review of a restaurant, I delegate tasks to my Husband: I order poultry, fish or a vegetarian dish, while he takes beef, pork or game. That's why I was slightly apprehensive about a burger workshop which was organised by Moo Moo Steak & Burger Club on Tuesday. Fortunately, my fears turned out to be completely unfounded.


The workshop started with a short lecture about the dish's history, followed by the chef's explanation on how to make a perfect burger. Even though the chef vividly gesticulated, creating an invisible patty literally out of thin air, I think that a live culinary show would be much more interesting to watch.


The second part of the meeting, however, was definitely more delicious. We were given the speciality of the house – Moo Moo burger, which apart form the obligatory bun and meat contained some lettuce, tomato, caramelized onion, camembert and pear. The combination of sweet onions, creamy camembert and my favourite pear proved to be absolutely amazing. Thanks to these garnishes and perfectly prepared patty, I forgot that actually I don't like beef. ;)


After food there came time for a drink - a presentation about wines from Uruguay. Mr. Michał Stępień, a sommelier from Dom Wina, whom we've already met during Najedzeni Fest!, was as always very friendly and professional. He spoke with passion about Uruguay – a surprisingly clean country in South America, where the culture of wine making and wine drinking is flourishing. The presentation was combined with wine tasting and with each glass the atmosphere was becoming more and more cheerful.


Afterwards there was the hands-on part of the workshop and we could make (or rather assemble) our own burgers. This time we were making a rice burger: a mix of the traditional beef patty with sushi rice and other Japanese ingredients. The result was rather unusual but I think I'll stick to the original recipe with buns. :)


We experimented not only with rice but also with pasta. I decided to eat the yummy, buttery pasta without meat and with some nashi pear (aka Asian pear or Chinese pear) instead. I think pears, unlike beef, go well with almost everything. :)


All in all, I really enjoyed the workshop, even though it was less practical than I'd expected. The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed (especially after the wine tasting), I met some really nice people (greetings to Ania and Kamil from Jedzenie jest piękne and to KrakowskiMakaroniarz), and I learned a lot about burgers and wines. Thanks to invaluable Gosia from Kraków gotuje, who got for us free 'blogger' admissions, I didn't have to pay for anything but I think that even PLN 50 for 3 hours of delicious food and wine is worth its price.


I'm really glad I took part in the workshop because finally I know that beef can be really tasty. But only if it's well prepared and served with appropriate garnish. :)

Address: ul. Świętego Krzyża 15, Kraków (Old Town)
Website: www.facebook.com/MooMooSteakBurgerClub