Sunday 2 February 2014

ZAZIE BISTRO – THE MAGIC OF FRENCH FOOD


Zazie, a French bistro in Cracow's Jewish quarter, Kazimierz, was on many occasions recommended to me by my three friends, incidentally, all of whom are called Michał. Now I wonder if Zazie is some kind of a secret meeting place for Michałs who like French cuisine. ;)


After all their praises, I expected something amazing so I was a little disappointed to find the interior so... ordinary. Even though one of the walls is covered with a large black and white photo of the Eiffel Tower and there is also a cast-iron lamppost bringing to mind Narnia, the whole interior didn't make a striking impression on me and the metal chairs turned out to be extremely uncomfortable. Luckily, friendly waitresses and delicious food compensated for all the shortcomings in aesthetics and comfort.

When I saw a long menu, I didn't know what to choose. I was especially tempted by escargot à la Bourguignonne (snails) but decided to try it next time. Finally, I ordered delicate foie gras with a sweet potato pancake and kohlrabi with port wine (PLN 22). I was slightly apprehensive about this dish but this unusual combination of the ingredients proved to be exceptionally tasty. I think that only a very talented (and brave) chef could have successfully carried out such a culinary experiment. Chapeau bas! :)


 I usually can't resists French onion soup if I spot it in a menu and this time was no exception. The onion soup in Zazie (PLN 9) was quite tasty, even though it was a far cry from the one I ate in La Taverne de l'Arbre Sec in Paris. Nevertheless, it was one of the best onion soups in Kraków.


My friend Gosia ordered very nice Alsatian quiche with bacon, brie, apple, and red onion (PLN 11 / a piece). For dessert we had a pear cooked in white wine served with almond sauce (PLN 11). The sauce was delicious but the pear itself was so sweet and overcooked that it was almost tasteless, which is a pity because the dish has great potential.


The interior is so neutral and the food so delicious that Zazie seems to be a perfect venue for practically every occasion: from a family dinner with kids and the dog, to a meeting with friends, to a romantic date. However, you should book a table in advance because the restaurant is often fully booked – which, taking into account their excellent French food, comes as no surprise. :)

Address: Józefa 34, Kraków (Kazimierz)
PS. And for dessert a French singer Zaz, whose name alwaysreminds me of Zazie. :)