Thursday 19 June 2014

MY ROMAN HOLIDAY, PART 1: BAROQUE VS. PIZZA


Here's the first part of my culinary and cultural adventures in Rome. 
The second part is available here. Enjoy! :)


This April I went for the first time to Rome. I came, I saw... I fell in love. Rome turned out to be even more beautiful and charming than I'd expected. Here are a few things I discovered during my Roman holiday.


In Rome, I could live solely on art. Before the trip, I had an ambitious plan to go to as many restaurants and cafés as possible. But then I was so engrossed in visiting Baroque churches and squares that I didn't feel hungry at all. Well, almost at all...


When I finally managed to tear myself away from the art battle between two Baroque giants: Bernini and Borromini, I went for dinner to Gallo Matto (which means 'Crazy Rooster' in Italian) near the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore. The restaurant's interior looks as if it was really designed by a crazy chicken but the food was quite nice.


Out of all the dishes that turned up on our table, I especially liked my ravioli with ricotta cheese. As the atmosphere in the restaurant was very casual (not to say familiar), I could personally congratulate the chef, who was sitting at a nearby table, laughing out loud and gesticulating wildly. Is there anything more stereotypically Italian? :)


In Gallo Matto, I found out for myself that the Italians love women and cheese. And especially the women who like cheese. When I told the waiter that “I love ricotta,” he immediately replied, “And I love you!” Not sure how he would react, I decided to conceal from him the fact that I also like mozzarella and pecorino romano. ;)


My biggest concern about Rome was that the city would be crowded with wild tourists. There were indeed a lot of people but only at the most popular sites. Like lemmings, people thronged around Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon but as soon as I turned into one of the side streets, I was almost totally alone. In one of such quite streets in the vicinity of Piazza Navona, we discovered a pizzeria Il Corallo.


My friends were surprised that a Roman pizza is flat as a pancake and doesn't resemble the dishes served in Polish restaurants. But I knew what to expect so I ate with a great pleasure a part of the pizza and even focaccia – pizza crust without any toppings, eaten with loads of olive oil. The food in Il Corallo was fresh and delicious (even the artichoke was quite edible) and the waiters and the chef (in the photo) – extremely friendly. But fortunately, this time no one professed his love for me. ;)



Gallo Matto, Via Cavour 107, Rome, Italy, www
Pizzeria Il Corallo, Via del Corallo 10/11, 00188 Rome, Italy, www