Sunday 13 October 2013

KRAKOWSKIM TARGIEM – THE MOST COLOURFUL FESTIVAL OF THE SEASON

 

Do you like traditional markets? I love them. In Poland, they usually sell fresh fruit and vegetables, local produce, such as oscypek (sheep cheese), and much more. The food there is much better than in supermarkets and the vendors are very friendly and chatty.



That's why I couldn't miss the Festival of Cracow's traditional markets called 'Krakowskim Targiem,' which took place yesterday (12th Oct) in Plac Nowy in Cracow. The name is a play on words: 'krakowskim targiem' is a Polish idiom meaning 'a compromise' but literally it means a Cracow's ('krakowskim') traditional market ('targiem').



Even though this summer and autumn have abounded in food festivals in Cracow, I think 'Krakowskim Targiem' was the most colourful and varied one.



The stalls were full of beautifully arranged autumnal fruits of the earth, especially round-bellied pumpkins and juicy grapes. There was also a plethora of forest mushrooms. I especially like saffron milk caps (called 'rydze' in Polish) fried in butter, which are a simple but delicious dish.


The most eye-catching stand was probably the one with exquisitely carved fruits and veggies. I really love the cute courgette roses.


Apart from food, there were also a few stalls with hand made jewellery, antiques and other birck-a-brac. Maybe someone bought this cute little nesting box?




The air was filled with the smells of smoke and delicious hot dishes, such as pierogi (Polish dumplings) and Moroccan specialities. Unfortunately, there were so many people who also wanted to taste the free food that I didn't manage to push myself forward. Maybe I'm too shy? :/




But I did manage to buy a jar of heather honey, a wooden spoon, some traditional cottage cheese, a punnet of sweet raspberries, and coffee spices with cardamom. As always, I spent more money than I'd intended but at least I've got some tasty souvenirs from the fair.




And for those who didn't manage to visit the festival, I recommend the traditional markets in Cracow, which are open all year round, especially Stary Kleparz, Plac na Stawach and Plac Nowy. Shopping at the market can be great fun. :)

Website: here